My Blog List

My Blog List

Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Force That Through the Green Fuse Drives the Flower

I read this poem that Mrs. Healey posted on the blog and it interested me. To me, it is about the vitality of nature. All throughout the poem, nature is described in full detail. In my opinion, the word "fuse" is used to describe the root or stalk of the plant. The author uses this description because just like a fuse, the root of a plant contains the "electricity" of the plant, and keeps the plant alive through the energy it receives. This makes me think of nature as all united as one, and really gives the poem a feeling of unity and connection, since all plants have roots. Next, the "force" the author is describing is the flower that the "fuse" is connected to. All of the nutrients pass through "the fuse" to get to the "force". I was confused when I read about the "destroyer", but I believe that the destroyer is once again referring to the flower. Since the poem revolves around nature, it is obvious to emphasize the idea that no living things can live forever. Therefore, the destroyer could be the element of death that eventually strikes upon all living things. I also noticed that the author used many paradoxes in this poem, such as "wintry fever", and "crooked rose". I think the author uses paradoxes because he's saying that even in times when nature and living things were most lively, he still thought of death all around him because eventually all things die. He uses dark depressing terms such as "dried steams" and "rotted roots", as well as lively and energetic terms such as "a mouth sucking life" and "pulsing red blood". This poem really spoke to me because the author is talking about the idea that everything is short-lived and can not exist forever, especially the beauty of nature. This poem inspires me to live each day as if it is my last because it reminds me that you only live once.

No comments:

Post a Comment